Free Needle Phobia Training and more!
Overcoming fear of needles can be lifesaving. Learn how virtual reality (VR) makes needle phobia treatment easier and more engaging, including how to use VR in person or with teletherapy.
This is a great way to get started with VR therapy.
Anyone who treats anxiety should consider offering VR and teletherapy because:
- VR helps make anxiety treatment easier and more engaging. VR can be used to support therapy in multiple ways, when treating a variety of anxiety disorders, and with many different therapeutic techniques.
- Teletherapy with VR works well, and is more convenient for both clients and therapists, because it eliminates travel time, parking hassles, and other concerns about meeting in-person.
- Motivated clients are actively seeking out therapists who offer VR therapy. For VR teletherapy, clients may need to purchase a smartphone-compatible headset for $50 (or less) so price is usually not a barrier.
- Teletherapy allows you to attract clients from any geographic area covered by your license, not just people who can come into your office. In fact, your 'office' can be almost anywhere.
You also have an opportunity to help others by providing needle phobia treatment through www.idontlikeneedles.com, a community service founded by Dr. Jocelyn Sze.
This exciting offer includes:
- Free Needle Phobia Training with Elizabeth McMahon, PhD
- Free VR Therapy Peer Consultation Group with Dr. McMahon via Zoom
- Free membership in our VR Therapists Community
NOTE: our offer of free access to the Amelia Virtual Care/Psious VR Professional platform has expired. Please Contact Amelia Virtual Care for current pricing and offers.
Needle phobia treatment combines CBT exposure therapy (including VR exposure therapy), applied muscle tension to prevent fainting, and additional clinical skills such as mindfulness, ACT, self-compassion, and motivational interviewing. VR can help with exposure therapy, skills training, differential diagnosis, and reward/relaxation. Training will cover needle phobia treatment with and without VR.
Instructional objectives for this course include:
- Describe the four-step treatment for needle/vaccination/injection phobia.
- Name two advantages of VR exposure over imaginal or in vivo exposure.
- List two virtual environments used in treating needle phobia.
Our Needle Phobia Training Program includes:
- Online training in needle phobia treatment including a video lecture by Dr. Elizabeth McMahon and a video demonstrating VR exposure therapy and teletherapy. These will appear in your Library.
- VR Therapy Peer Consultation Group webinars meet weekly with Dr. McMahon for case consultation and problem solving. Discussion may cover all aspects of VR Therapy, not just needle phobia or anxiety treatment.
- Membership in our online VR Therapists Community for sharing best practices on VR therapy for a variety of conditions.
The Psious by Amelia VR Professional platform includes virtual environments and psychoeducational materials for treating many different conditions--not just needle phobia. VR Professional platform can be used for teletherapy where the therapist and client are in different locations and communicate using a video link. For a VR headset, teletherapy clients can use their Android or Apple smartphone with an inexpensive VR headset/holder.
Ideally, each student will apply what they are learning by treating at least one needle phobia client within four weeks of starting the training and joining a VR Therapy Peer Consultation Group session to share their experiences. These groups provide a forum where you can share your successes, ask questions, and problem solve any issues related to needle phobia treatment or other aspects of VR therapy.
Sign Up Now